Thursday, November 25, 2010

TN Thanksgiving 2010

Today was indeed my first Tennessee Thanksgiving that I have ever had. It was really special with bittersweet moments. Ana and Ethan are getting older and it is too hard to drive to Alabama, have lunch and be back to share Thanksgiving with my husband’s family. Sounds simple but it is tiresome and a struggle. After my grandfather passed it is even more difficult to want to continue with the same tradition. We all needed a little change, not too much, but something that made it a little different. No matter how we "change" it up, he will no longer be here and that is the saddest part.

God was faithful and allowed so many laughs throughout the day. It all began this morning, with Ana. Oh, what a blessing this child is! She can find humor in just about anything. She wanted a granny smith apple for breakfast. So Jimbo peeled it for her and then sampled one. His face got all tight and said; Ana, this is the sourest apple ever! She laughed and said it was "yummy". As we were having our coffee and breakfast Jimbo looked at the amount of apple Ana had on her plate and told her if she ate all that she was going to have to poop for the most part of the day. I smacked his arm, laughed, and told him not to say that. Who thinks of things like this at the breakfast table?! Oh, yeah, that would be my husband. Nasty!! So I told Ana not to listen to him and she laughed and said; "okay, mama". Later on I went into my closet to begin thinking about to wear for the day. Do I go casual, really casual, dressy, or dressy funky? About the time I had my train of thought going my "crew" had followed me into the bathroom. Ana informed me that she had to go to the bathroom and Jimbo, for whatever reason decided he needed to join us. (Ethan is still asleep during this time) So, I begin to pick up where I left, deciding on my outfit, and Ana says; "Hey Mama, I'm going to go poo poo, okay?" I said; "Okay, sweetie". Jimbo starts laughing and said; "See, I told you that big apple was going to make you poop". I told him not to bother her and plus, an apple would not work that fast. We go back and forth and all of the sudden Ana speaks up and says; "Hey guys, trying to poop. Get out please." We all began to laugh so hard! So we gave her the privacy she needed and I went back into my closet to get yet another outfit out.

Lunch at my parents was simple, fun and so relaxing. We didn't feel rushed and the meal was amazing. My sister had made two soups, three appetizers and mom picked up sandwich meats, cheese and breads. I made a dessert that actually turned out. Nora, Ana and Ethan all played so well together and laughed the entire time. There is nothing better than hearing the three of them get together. The love they have for one another is so tight and strong. God has really blessed us with these children. We left in time for Ana and Ethan to take naps. We wanted them to feel refreshed at my husband’s side of the family. Again, we had a wonderful meal; the visit was relaxing and fun. The kids loved being together and playing games with one another. We ended the night on the drive back home listening to Christmas music and looking at Christmas lights. Ana and Ethan are getting older where they are taking an interest in lights and who has the most on their side of the car.

Yes, I am thankful for my family, friends, and all the blessings I have been given. I am so blessed to be living in a wonderful home, have freedom and know the love of Christ. I'm saddened that the months are getting longer from the last time I saw my grandfather and I miss him so much. If I could just get one hug from him, where no words were spoken I would be just fine. But that is not how this thing works and I know that. I just miss him and no matter how we make simple changes the reality is that he is gone and that doesn't make the pain any easier. He will always be apart of my heart. My memories that I treasure will remain with me always and that is my comfort.

As I write this note, that hopefully one day my children will read and understand, I am surrounded with the sounds of Christmas music and a happy heart.

Happy Thanksgiving from Tennessee!

No comments:

Post a Comment