Saturday, November 27, 2010

Giving Back

I've been feeling convicted to reach out and do something for a family, child, or adult this Christmas season. We usually do something, don't get me wrong but I have been wanting my children to see it more than ever. When a commercial advertises the latest toy on the television they both want it. And this goes on all day long. Its frustrating because Ana and Ethan have so much. I want to teach them the importance of giving and how it makes another person "smile". I began to research how I should go about teaching such a simple yet complex act.

1. The first thing we are going to do is make a "Maggie Feeding Schedule". This way they can be apart of feeding her. I've made a chart so Ana and Ethan can put a sticker on it when she gets her food. Neither of my children like to get hungry. So first, we will begin by teaching that all animals need to fed and Maggie, our new dog, is one of them.

2. The second step which goes hand in hand with the first step and that is we are going to make a bird house. Well, we are going to assemble one that is pre-made. And then paint it as a family. Again, Ana and Ethan can see that even the outside animals need food and we will add this to our "feeding chart". We've been so blessed to have a great back yard. We get all kinds of animals from rabbits, squirrels, to the occasional deer. But throughout the year we have all kinds of birds that we watch. Its really amazing to see from our sun room.

3. No matter how many feeding charts I make Ana and Ethan will learn by example. They may not be old enough to know how they want to give this year but they can watch me. As I reflect on what do, they will be right by my side watching.

Doing the smallest task as coloring a book mark for their teachers is teaching them something. I have to remember that its the small things that make the biggest difference. Mother Teresa said; "We can do no great things, only small small things with great love". Love and loving others is what it is all about. And hopefully, I will be able to teach that to my children this holiday season.
Merry Christmas!


2 comments: